Vegetarian Stuffed Eggplant
Updated: Oct 23, 2020
With all the eggplants being harvested from our summer gardens , this vegetarian recipe is a great way to also use up any leftover rice, and is also a great recipe for stuffing zucchini and peppers. This mouthwatering Mediterranean-style dish, can also be made non-vegetarian by adding ground beef or ground sausage. Either way iit is absolutely delicious!
2 small whole eggplant (about 6 inches long)
1/2 cup cooked brown or white rice
½ medium onion diced
1 clove garlic
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus a few tablespoons for topping
I egg ( beaten )
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
a few fresh minced basil leaves
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 or 2 tablespoons plain Panko dried bread crumbs
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
1 cup left over tomato sauce
· Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a small roasting pan with aluminum foil, and set aside.
· Trim tops of egg plants and discard stem.
· Cook rice if not using left over rice.
· In a large pot, place eggplants into 6 quarts of boiling water, for 5 – 6 minutes turning occasionally. Remove when eggplants surface is soft.
· Slice eggplant in half and set aside to cool for easier handling.
· In a fry pan, saute diced onion gently in 2 teaspoons of olive oil until translucent.
· Scoop out eggplant flesh from each half section using a spoon, being very careful not to pierce skin. Brush inside eggplants with olive oil and set aside.
· Add to onion mixture chopped eggplant flesh along with minced garlic and cook between 6 – 8 minutes.
· Beat 1 egg and combine with ½ cup cooked rice and eggplant, onion, garlic mixture.
· Add grated Parmesan cheese, finely chopped parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon generously stuffing mixture into each eggplant half making sure to mound stuffing.
· Place side by side in a small lined baking pan.
· Combine Panko breadcrumbs with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of stuffed eggplant halves.
· Bake in 375 - degree oven for 35- 40 minutes until tops are golden brown and crispy.
· Add homemade tomato sauce and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
· Serve warm or at room temperature.