Updated: Oct 23, 2020
This Italian, rustic stuffed pizza embraces the heart of Easter, the holiest of all Christian celebrations. A delicious, traditional dish which is a large part of the Easter holiday for many Italians and non-Italians alike.
Pizza Rustica, also known by several other names such as: Torta Pasqualina, Pizzachino, Pizza Piena, or Pizzagaina to name a few, gets it's name depending on the region of Italy from which it's made. Whatever you choose to call it, you will surely want to serve it to your family and friends year after year.
Buona Pasqua a Tutti!
For the Dough:
1 pound all purpose flour
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
1/2 pound butter (cold)
milk, as much as needed
For the Filling:
1 pound ricotta cheese
3 large eggs
1/4 pound provolone - sharp
1/4 pound mozzarella
4 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese
1/4 pound prosciutto
1/4 pound sopressata
1/4 pound mortadella ( with or without pistachios depending on nut allergy )
fresh black pepper, as desired
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 large egg for the egg wash
Prepare the Dough:
- In a stand mixer, add the flour, salt and the butter cut in cubes.Let the flour absorb all the butter.
- Add the eggs and let them mix well.
- Add enough milk (about 1/4 + Cups) until you have a firm ball of dough.
- Let it rest.
Prepare the Filling:
- Cut all the meats and cheeses in small cubes and put in a large bowl.
- Add the grated Pecorino and mix.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- Add the ricotta cheese and parsley and mix well.
- Add fresh black pepper as desired.
- Set aside.
Assemble the Pizza Rustica:
- Preheat the oven at 350F
- Butter and flour a 9" spring form pan.
- Cut a little less than 1/3 of the dough and set aside.
- With a rolling pin, roll the large piece of dough in a thin circle.
- Place the dough over the spring form pan so that it overflows the borders of the pan.
- Add the filing and spread it evenly.
- With a sharp knife, cut the excess dough from around the border of the pan.
- With the remaining dough, roll it thin and with a ravioli cutter, cut strips to make the lattice strips and arrange them on top of the filling.
- Brush the strips with egg wash and bake for about 1 hr and 15 mins.